Monday, July 20, 2009

Game #9: Gladiators def WVUCC by 86 runs

A much awaited game. It was a contest between Sohail and Gladiator's bowlers, or perhaps a mind game within the heads of Gladiators. We've lost to WVUCC 3 times in the last 2 years and it was back in 2006 when Zeeshan's whirlwind 63 of 26 balls gave Gladiators their only victory over WV in PCA tournaments. And strangely, in none of the matches did Sohail play a crazy knock. It was mainly Gladiators losing their nerve and giving away an easy win. But not this time. This time, we were a lot better prepared and a lot more determined. And riding on the confidence due to our successes since the middle of last season, we truly were the favorites.

Sohail won the toss and asked us to bat. We scored 191 in 25 overs. But against WVUCC, you never know what score it good till you get Sohail out. And it was one of those days when Mansoor put his hand up and his first bowl turned out to be the most important delivery of the game. And Arpit, phew... I can imagine what was going on in his head in the 5 seconds after the ball hit the upper edge of Sohail's bat and landed in his safe hands. With Sohail out and score reading 0/1 in 0.1 overs, you know who would win the match.

Earlier, Gladiators posted a healthy 191. I scored my first fifty in 3 years (Arpit had just challenged me a few days back to score a 50+ score and that he would make a nice dinner for me if I did. I will keep you updated on what he makes and how it turned out to be :) ). Asghar continued his golden touch and scored 23 with 3 glorious out-of-the-park hits in no time before getting out at long on off Sohail's bowling. After I got out, Ahsan took charge of the scoring and make a healthy and brisk 40 (5 sixes). Good to see him in action after a string of low scores and strange dismissals. He is too good to be out of action for so long. After reaching around 170ish, it was another near collapse at the end and we got out in 24.2 overs. And Sameer, yet another failure. Ok.. I believe in the law of averages. And I just pity the team who would first bear the brunt.

When we took the field, well most of the interesting stuff was over after 0.1 overs. Mansoor was at his firy best and eventually took 4 wickets in his 5 overs. Add to this a brilliant run out by Yasir-Sameer, and WVUCC were 5 down in the first 9 overs. The rest was regulation. Imran, YasirM and I bowled sensibly and shared the remaining wickets. Mohsin had a day off with the bowl and I am sure he will be back with a bang in the next match.

Arpit showed some exceptional fielding throughout the innings. Apart from the the first ball catch-of-the-match, he dived around to keep the energy in the field high throughout. And did I mention he played a handy knock of 15 with a clean straight 6 and a stunning grounded 4.

Well, in the end.. a great all-round performance by Gladiators. We now have 8 victories in 9 games (aah.. that Blitzers game) and 6 of them with bonus points (aah... the first of the non-bonus victories was 1-run away from that bonus point). :) Ok.. lets not be too greedy!

My batsman of the day: Mudit (holding the innings at the top)
My bowler of the day: MANSOOR... no 2nd thoughts on that
My fielder of the day: Arpit
My man of the match: Mansoor... 4 wickets in 5 firy overs and that ball-of-the-match :)
My ball of the match: you know it right ...


No comments:

Post a Comment